Saturday, June 6, 2015

My Nail Care Routine!

Hey everyone!

I am so excited to bring you this post. This is my nail care and cuticle routine! I will be showing you what I do step my step to keep my nails and cuticles looking nice and healthy. If you're interested in seeing what I do to keep my nails looking nice then just keep reading. C'mon let's get into my routine!




My nails have always been very thin. Because of this I started taking hair, skin, and nail vitamins and they have made my nails so much stronger and so much healthier. They now grow much faster and I couldn't be happier with these vitamins. I take the Shape Inner Beauty vitamins. I would totally recommend these if you're looking for beautiful nails and hair! Added to this, I make sure to drink lots of water. Water is essential in keeping your body healthy. I always make sure to have a water bottle nearby and keep reminding myself to drink it. These are the only two things that go into my body that help keep my nails strong and healthy. Now let's get into what I do to keep them healthy on the outside.

1. The first step that I do in my nail care routine is remove my old nail polish. I use cotton balls and nail polish remover that contains acetone unless I am dealing with glitter then in that case I use 100% pure acetone. I get my nail polish remover from H-E-B, a grocery store here in Texas. I prefer using regular nail polish when I'm not dealing with glitter because it isn't as drying and I don't mind taking a little longer to remove my polish.








2. Once I have removed my nail polish, I whiten my nails. Now, I do this very rarely because I only do this when I wear very dark colors that tend to stain. I try to stay away from dark colors because I dislike having to remove stains from my nails. I use Nail-Aid Nails White 'N Brite and just a cotton ball and that really helps with the staining. If the staining is very bad then I will go in with a buffer and lightly buff the tops of my nails to try and remove the stains. This typically works unless the polish was extremely staining. After this I rinse off the whitening cream from my hands with some water.




3. After this I look at my cuticles because they tend to get dry a lot and look for any hang nails or any little piece of skin that is sticking up. When I see one I clip it off with some cuticle nippers. That is all I use my nippers for. I DO NOT cut my cuticles. Not cutting your cuticles is a very important step. Your cuticles are there to protect your nails and your nail beds when you cut them you are risking getting an infection. So that is why I don't cut them. I do remove the dead skin around my cuticles using Orly's Cuti-Care and a metal cuticle pusher. This is a cuticle and stain remover, so that also helps with staining. I was searching for this online so I could share the link with you guys and I can't find it anywhere. Orly seems to have changed the name and the packaging. It's now called Cutique Cuticle and Stain Remover. 




Here is a little before of how my nails look before I apply my cuticle remover. There are some dry spots and some dry skin.






This is how much dead skin and cuticle was on my nail. Gross, I know!




And here is the after, hooray for dry skin free nails!




4. After I remove my cuticles, I file my nails down. I don't cut my nails at all all I do is file them down. I love love love these nail files from Bath and Body Works. They are the perfect grit for my thin nails and I absolutely love them. And they are only $1.00! I file in both directions back and forth,  it doesn't make my nails peel or crack. That is just what works for me.




5. After I am done filing my nails, I apply my base coat or a growth treatment whichever I'm feeling that day. I hardly ever use a base coat before my manicures because I just haven't found one that I like yet. I know it's bad to not use a base coat but I just don't do it and my nails seem to be okay. If you have any recommendations on a good base coat please let me know in the comments I would love to know what you use!

These are the two that I switch between:

Avon Gel Strength Base Coat- $6.50
Nail-Aid Ultra Fast Growth- $7.00
( I couldn't find this specific one online but I found a similar one which I linked above.)




6. After I apply my base coat I like to apply my lotion. I'm not too picky with the lotions that I use. If it moisturizes then I'll use it. I really love the Bath and Body Works ones, they smell so so good! Right now I'm loving Strawberry Sparkler, and Honey Sweetheart!




7. The last and most important step that I take to keep my nails looking and feeling amazing is MOISTURIZING!!! I cannot stress enough how much you should moisturize your nails and cuticles. Whenever you think about it moisturize, keep an oil in your purse, backpack, car, nightstand, at work, anywhere that you spend time this way you will always have an oil or balm on hand and your cuticles will definitely thank you. I moisturize 2-6x a day. I always always always moisturize at night I try not to ever go a day without moisturizing at night. My cuticles have definitely come a long way since I started getting into nail polish. (8th Grade) I used to be a very bad nail biter and I found that the only thing that kept me from biting was painting my nails. I loved and still love doing designs and I spend time and work hard on my designs and thinking that way kept me from biting. I also used to pick at my cuticles very badly to the point where they would be red, bleeding, and throbbing. I stopped doing that because my nail polish remover would burn like hell. I started moisturizing and have been in love (addicted) to cuticle care ever since.

Some of my favorite products to keep my cuticles moisturized are:

Sweet Baby by Donna Cuticle Oil- $10.75
Sweet Baby by Donna Cuticle and Hand Balm (There is no link for this one as Donna will not be making balms until the fall.)
Hit Polish Nail Lacquer Cuticle Oil- $3.25
Sunny's Miracle Balm- $5.00
Sunny's Cuticle Oil- $6.00
Front Range Balm- $3.50
Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream- $6.00



My Sweet Baby by Donna Cuticle Oil in Pink Sugar is AMAZING and one of my favorites!






Well, that's all I do to keep my nails and cuticles healthy. I really hope you enjoyed and found my cuticle care routine helpful. If I didn't answer something or you have any questions then please let me know and I will definitely get back to you!


Thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment